Happy New Year 2008 from NYC!!!

Newyearseve2007
A friend of mine Ephany from Kenya and I went to NYC from my parents house in Ohio.  Ephany wanted to see NYC before heading back to his country, so I took him.  We met other friends of ours yesterday and traveled to some common sites in the city.

We are staying with Jon Tyson a friend of mine who is a church planter in Manhattan.  The church he serves is called Origins and really seems to be connecting with the city.  Jon is a passionate man, with a huge heart for this city.  He has been incredibly hospitable to us.

We spent New Year’s Eve roaming around the city meeting people from all over the world.  For Christmas I got a Cannon HV20 and was able to get some video footage that I hope to post after I get home.  I probably won’t have time before that to edit and post it.  I haven’t really worked with video much, but that is one thing that I hope to do more of this coming year.  I would love to have more video posts on this blog.  We’ll see.

At around 11 p.m. last night, we went to a New Year’s Eve party on 51st street.  It was a party that was raising money for a safe house in NYC for victims of human trafficking.  Jon invited us and we met a number of people.

After the party, I went around the streets talking with people getting some video footage of what New York is like on New Year’s Eve after the ball has dropped.  There is high energy and many friendly people here.  I had a great time.

I want to wish you a Happy New Year this coming year and encourage you to take a moment to reflect on this past year.  I plan to take some time in the next couple of days to examine the past year of my life.  I want to look and see what things were life-giving and what was life-draining.  I want to look over the year and remember the times I walked with the Lord and the times I didn’t.  I want to take some time to ask God to forgive me for the times I didn’t walk with Him and to help me to walk closer with Him in the coming year.  I will take some time to review each of my roles in life and consider how God would have me focus for the coming year. I hope that you might do something similar.

May this coming year be a rich and rewarding year for you!

6 Responses to Happy New Year 2008 from NYC!!!

1. Terry says:

Praying for Ephany and any family and friends he has in Kenya. Praying that God will bring peace there soon.

Terry,

Thanks. It is really hard on him hearing all of this news. Thanks for your prayers.

3. Jason Hesiak says:

Hey JR,
    Have you emailed back and forth at all with anyone in Kenya about the sitaution there???
    Jason

4. un.gift says:

United Nations Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking website http://www.ungift.org aims to be an extension of UN GIFT activities worldwide. We would like it to evolve into a vibrant online community where people exchange views, showcase their work, talk about their experiences and strengthen the fight against human trafficking. With your help we can make it a valuable resource and a tool to take this fight forward. The organized crime of human trafficking needs a fitting organized response.

United Nations Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking (UN.GIFT) was formally launched in London on 26 March 2007. It is designed to have a long-term impact to create a turning point in the worldwide fight against human trafficking. 27million people are trafficked each year. UN.GIFT intends to take action against human trafficking in all its manifestations – commercial sexual exploitation, bonded labour, organ trade, camel jockeying, forced marriages, domestic labour, illegal adoption, and other exploitative work – through creating partnerships at a global level with all sectors of society.

The ultimate goal of the Global Initiative is to contribute to ending human trafficking– estimated to have a total market value of about $32 billion worldwide. UNODC has a two-pronged strategy for achieving this goal – increasing public awareness of the problem and coordinating existing but disparate efforts by international and national groups, governments and non-governmental organizations and by concerned individuals to end the practice.

Numerous regional GIFT events will culminate in Vienna with a Global Forum against Human Trafficking from 13th to 15th Feb 2008.

The objective of The Vienna Forum is to raise awareness, facilitate cooperation and partnerships among the various stakeholders. It will bring together representatives from Member States, UN system organizations, other regional and international organizations, the business community, academia, non-governmental organizations and other elements of civil society. The Forum will allow for an open environment to enable all parties involved to take concrete steps to fight human trafficking, within their spheres of action.

The Forum will be a catalyst for solution-seeking ideas and address three overriding themes on human trafficking: 1.Vulnerability: why does human trafficking happen;
    2. Impact: human and social consequences of human trafficking;
    3. Action: innovative approaches to solving complex problems.
    · It is time to join forces to prevent human trafficking.
    · Give this global problem a global solution.
    · Rally under the banner of the Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking.
    · Get involved!
    · Together we can save people and put traffickers behind bars.

Tushar

5. Terry says:

BBC seems to have good, uptodate info on what’s going on in Kenya

Jason,

I trust that you saw my entries that included a letter from Bishop Kaaleng.

Tushar,

Thanks for the update about the human trafficking conference in Vienna. I wish I could be their. We are trying to do some things in my neighborhood. Keep me updated if you go.

Terry,

Thanks for sharing the BBC link.