50 Lessons in Discipleship (11-15)
In this series, I will be sharing 50 lessons in discipleship and mentoring. These are lessons that I have learned through life, sometimes through my mentors others times through my mentoring. I pass them on in hopes that they may be a blessing to you and others. I will share five at a time, because I think each statement will be richer as they are reflected upon. Thirty-nine of the Psalms contain the word Selah to break up the Psalm. Selah is the Hebrew way of saying “stop and listen” or “think about it.” So after each of the five discipleship lessons I will put Selah. Please feel free to share lessons you have learned in discipleship or your thoughts on lessons that I’ve learned. These lessons are not in any particular order.
LESSONS IN DISCIPLESHIP
11. When we disciple others, we should call out what the Holy Spirit is putting in
12. When working with people it is important to focus on where God is bringing them, not simply where they have been
13. Contextualization is important in the are of mentoring, discipleship should look different today than it did 30 years ago
14. All work and no play lends itself to sterile relationships, working and playing together adds depth to the mentoring relationship
15. It is wise to learn from both ancient and contemporary disciples of Jesus