A Missional View of the Doctrine of Election – Part V

How a Robust View of Election Leads to a Holistic Gospel and Meaningful Missional Engagement

Part I is the introduction to this series. In Part II, I look at missional modes of theological reflection. In Part III, I look at Grudem and Newbigin’s starting points (key questions and key texts), and in Part IV their views on the doctrine of election.  Now let’s look at how they understand judgment.

Election and Judgment
When Grudem talks about election as it relates to God’s judgment, he prefers to stay away from the term “double predestination” because he feels it blurs the distinction between “election” and “reprobation.” “Reprobation is the sovereign decision of God before creation to pass over some persons, in sorrow deciding not to save them, and to punish them for their sins, and thereby to manifest justice.”[1] He admits that this is a difficult doctrine to swallow and that Calvin himself said, “The decree is dreadful indeed”.[2] He looks to Romans 9 as the primary focus, in addition to other verses. Grudem believes that “the eternal damnation of some will show God’s justice and also result in his glory.”[3] One of the reasons Grudem separates election from reprobation is that God actively chooses us for salvation, but “the blame for the condemnation of sinners is always put on the people… never on God himself.”[4]

Newbigin would consider Grudem’s understanding of judgment one of the “disastrous misunderstandings” of the doctrine of election (or implications of the doctrine) because for Newbigin the doctrine of election is not about being exclusive beneficiaries, but about being bearers of the blessing. It is this understanding of election which disturbs Newbigin the most.  For Newbigin God’s electing grace, “can never become the ground for making claims against God which exclude others. (He has consigned all to disobedience in order that he may have mercy upon all.)”[5] When Newbigin turns his attention to Romans 9, he reads it in light of the whole story of God and chapters 9-11 in particular. Newbigin, this passage has “often been used as a basis for false teaching about election.”[6] Space is limited to cover his argument adequately, but essentially God has chosen Israel, but Israel as a nation, rejected God’s chosen Messiah.  Does this mean God abandons them? No.  So how is this to be understood?  Newbigin makes the point that God retains his freedom to do what he wants, he could make some vessels for honor and some for destruction. But “God, says Paul, has hardened the heart of Israel so that the gospel which they reject – so to say – bounce off to the Gentiles … So the apostasy of Israel has brought salvation to the Gentiles.  Does this mean that Israel is lost? No! Impossible!  God can never cast off his chosen people.  As proof of this he has kept a remnant (as so often in the past) as pledge that Israel is not rejected. … And how is it all to end?  The answer is that this hardening of the heart of Israel is until the full number of Gentiles come in, and so all Israel will be saved (11:25).  In the end, therefore, it is through the Gentiles that Israel will be saved.  So the logic of election is complete.  I said earlier that in the biblical view there could be no salvation straight from above through the skylight, but only as we open the door to the neighbor whom God has appointed to be the bearer of salvation”.[7]

With a strong universal tone to his understanding of election, how does Newbigin understand judgment?  He seeks to hold both the universalist perspective of the Scripture in tension with the “clear teaching about judgment and the possibility of rejection.”[8] He rejects a rationalist universalism that argues from “the omnipotence of God’s love to the necessary ultimate salvation of every soul.”[9] He argues that we must refuse to engage “in speculation about the ultimate salvation of other people”[10] in part because when Jesus talks about the judgment there is always a surprise factor involved, “the reversal of expectations” where those who thought they were in, ended up out, and vice versa. And finally, when Jesus talk about rejection in regard to final judgment, many passages are warnings that are given to “the people who are sure about their salvation.  It is directed not to the outsider but to the insider.  It is those who say “Lord, Lord” who will find themselves rejected.”[11] Newbigin feels the Christian life needs to be lived in the tension of a godly fear and godly confidence.[12]

In Part VI, I give my personal assessment.

[1] Grudem, Systematic Theology, p. 685.
[2] Ibid.
[3] Ibid., p. 686
[4] Ibid.
[5] Newbigin, Gospel in Pluralist Society, p. 85.
[6] Ibid.
[7] Ibid., pp. 83,84.
[8] Newbigin, The Open Secret, p. 79.
[9] Ibid.
[10] Ibid.
[11] Ibid., p. 80.
[12] Ibid., p. 81.

9 Responses to A Missional View of the Doctrine of Election – Part V

1. Joel says:

I’ve been wanting to read Newbigin forever, and now maybe I will! Barth changed the doctrine of election for me forever. He has what Newbigin seems to have (a missional aim of election) but he makes it radically Christocentric not simply ecclesiocentric, to the point that election determines God’s own being. Not sure I understand it but I really like what Barth does. He made election good news instead of a dreadful decree. The opening line of Dogmatics II/2 gives me shivers, “The doctrine of election is the sum of the gospel, because of all words that can be spoken or heard, it is the best–that God elects man.”

Joel,

Hey, you would love Newbigin. I’ve loved everything I’ve read of him. He is definitely one of my top theologians that I look to. Hope all is well with you. Peace.

3. Andrew Arndt says:

Hey man – sorry I’ve been absent this discussion since late last week. I’ve been reading the posts though. Can’t wait to read part VI!

4. Jim says:

Great series. So helpful, especially statements like  “Newbigin would consider Grudem’s understanding of judgment one of the “disastrous misunderstandings” of the doctrine of election (or implications of the doctrine) ***because for Newbigin the doctrine of election is not about being exclusive beneficiaries, but about being bearers of the blessing…”

And that led me to think about the idea of God’s election of a people as blessing under certain eschatological conditions. Here election imposes an awesome responsibility on the community to embody the love/compassion/righteousness of God, to be an authentically new creation at a particular TIME in history, in culture; not the same old creation with a religious gloss on it.

The challenge, it seems to me, is to grasp again the sense of election as VOCATION (cf Gen.12:1-3); which includes, of course, to be new creation for the sake of the glory of the creator God, but also and more specifically to respond fittingly to the current “eschatological” crisis of the collapse of Western Christendom and the emergence of a renewed post-Christendom and post-modern people of God. Perhaps we may have been chosen from before the foundation of the world for this purpose, for such a time as this.

Andrew,

No worries my friend. It is good to know you are still there. Thanks for letting me know.

Jim,

Excellent thoughts, I love your language of our vocation “to be new creation for the sake of the glory of the creator God…” Thanks for your contribution to the series.

7. Rick Cruse says:

Election and Judgment

I’ve never seen the “ugliness” of this Reformed doctrine as clearly as this. Agree with Newbigin’s assessment that it’s disastrous and certainly makes the good news good only to some. And this from one who upheld Calvinistic theology for all too many years. I have this picture in my mind of a god who says, “I choose you and you but not you; btw, it’s your fault too but I’ll get glory from this.” really struggling these days with the idea that, e.g., a 15-year old Indian girl sold by her father into sexual slavery at age 8, subsequently dying of AIDS, and hearing god say, “it’s your fault.”

8. Rick Cruse says:

I realize I’m mixing issues here, but I’m struggling with fundamental issues that I’ve embraced for more than forty years in ministry.

Rick,

Thanks a lot for your thoughts here. I appreciate your willingness to struggle with thoughts you have held for some time. While as you say you are “mixing” issues, at the same time, the illustration you share makes a lot of sense, because for me it hits on the issue of our view of God, which is vital. I share my assessment of the matter in the Part VI.