Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Missiological Approach
I appreciate how Richard Bliese summarized Bonhoeffer’s missional emphasis in his chapter Bonhoeffer and the Great Commission, in the book that he and Van Gelder edited called, Evangelizing Church.
1. There is mission with the view from inside: renewal
The church in ongoing reform and obedience to Christ alone
2. There is mission with the view from below: suffering
We must see history from the perspective of the powerless and oppressed
3. There is mission with the view from the outside: embrace
How can Christ be Lord of the religionless?
4. There is mssion with the view from the world: solidarity
Christ is present in the world and for the world
5. There is mission with the view from the cruiciform center: the cross
The faith that will make a mark in the world carries a cross